Thursday, November 30, 2006


"I believe in the sun even when it’s not shining,
I believe in love even when I don’t feel it,
I believe in God
even when He is silent."

- found on the wall of
a prison cell in Europe.
There are times when I think a little about things spiritual. I've never been overtly religious, have seen too much harm and limitation possible in following doctrine and dogma. I won't get into a rant here. Hell, I don't think I've ever ranted about anything in my life... well, I just did on this blog about Zappa, I guess, but come on, some things are important.
I just like the sentiment in the poem above. In a certain mood I've got loads to say about the power of faith, the succor to be found with belief. I got in with Alcoholics Anonymous 12 years ago, and one thing that's stressed is finding a Higher Power for yourself, even though that can be such an impossible-seeming thing when you're first sober. I found my Higher Power, finally, and He/She/It suits me just fine. Every time I see a sunrise or sunset like the one in the picture, I say hello to my Higher Power. We have a very cordial relationship.
He/She/It's everywhere, in everything, everybody, you see. Huge. Dynamic. It has a lot to do with the interconnectedness of all things. And karma. Eclectic, eccentric. Like me, I suppose. As I said before, suits me just fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dad, liked yer pome before, but my commenting finger was broken. I've got a theory about faith, blind or otherwise: I think passivity is the key. Letting the belief flow through me is what works for me. I think it's when people start believing things on purpose that friction and violence get going. That's why my motto is 'relax, for Christ's sake!'